How to apply for study visa in UK?

study visa in UK
Where To Study

How to apply for study visa in UK?

Before beginning their studies at a British educational institution, international students must apply for a Study Visa in UK. Following Brexit, the previous Tier 4 (General) Student Visa has been “rebranded,” primarily to reflect the fact that students from the EU and EEA will now be required to apply for a student visa in UK.

In this article, we break down the process of how to apply for UK student visa if you wish to study there!

Read more: How to apply for Student Visa in the US?

An Overview of Study Visa in UK

study visa in UK
Student Visa in UK

When trying to get a study visa in UK, you need to first apply to the university and get an acceptance letter, much like many other European countries and the system that works there.

You will need this letter of acceptance to start your student visa application. Read on to find out whether you actually need a study visa in UK and how to apply for it if you do. 

Visa Eligibility 

Things after Brexit have become a bit confusing, especially when international students want to study in the UK or who are already studying a degree and don’t know what should be done. However, whether you need a visa or not depends on your nationality and when you arrived in the UK. 

 For example, if you come from the EU/EEA or Switzerland and arrived in the UK after the 1st of January 2021, you may probably need a visa, even if you were already studying there.

You should look into the regulations about how to apply for a settlement so you can continue your study or start studying there. If you come from Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein these might be the same rules but you should check up on what visa regulations currently apply to you before applying for a visa.  

If you are a Non-EU/EEA student, you will need a visa to study in the UK, no matter where you come from. However, depending on the length of your degree program, you will need to apply for either a short-term visa or a General Student Visa, which is sometimes called the Tier 4 Student Visa. 

Types of study visa in UK

The two types of study visa in UK available to Non-EU students are short-term visas, which are available for 6 or up to 12 months or General student visas. Short-term visas are for students who will take a language course or research for less than a year, as part of a study abroad program. 

On the other hand, General student visas are for those who join a full degree program, whether undergraduate or postgraduate. The length of validity of the visa depends on your study program’s length and will be catered to it. 

Requirements for study visa in UK

If you want to apply for a study visa in the UK, you’ll need to fulfill certain requirements to even be considered for one. For example, you need to be over 16 years of age and need to be accepted already into a degree program.

You also need to support yourself financially and have proof that you will be able to cover your living expenses and course fees.

Furthermore, you must fulfil the English language proficiency requirements and if you are younger than 18 years, you will need to have permission

When should I apply for a visa?

If you are 16 or older and want to study a higher education course in the UK for more than six months, you will almost certainly need to apply for a student visa via the Student Route.

There are also other types of student visas.

1) Student Route (Child) visa:

This type of visa is dedicated to students between the ages of four and seventeen who have been offered a place on a course at a UK educational institution that has a valid Student route sponsor, such as an independent fee-paying school.

2) Short-term study visa

It is intended for students who have been offered a place on a short-term course in the United Kingdom, such as an English language course or a training course.

How do things go for non-EU students?

from the parents with regards to your program study, and written proof of this

If you are a student from a country other than the European Union, you will need a study visa in UK. Visas are classified into two types. The one you require is determined by the length of your study program. The application forms for both visas are different.

When you apply to a UK university and are accepted, you will receive a reference number known as the Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). This is a vital document because it is required for your visa application.

How much time will I need to wait to get a visa appointment?

The time you will need to wait to get a visa appointment depends on whether you live in or outside the UK.

  • When applying from outside the United Kingdom, you can apply for a visa up to 6 months before the start of your course. You should receive a decision on your visa within three weeks.
  • When applying from within the United Kingdom, the earliest you can apply is three months before the start of your course.
  • You must apply before the expiration of your current visa. Your new course must begin within 28 days of the expiration of your current visa.

How much time will the whole visa process take?

If you apply from outside the UK, you will receive a decision on your Student Visa application in about 3 weeks. If you apply from within the UK, it will take approximately 8 weeks to receive a decision.

What’s the Student Route?

The previous Tier 4 (General study visa in UK has been replaced by the so-called “Student Route” as of October 4, 2020. The Student Route is the UK’s new Student Visa, which will be available to EEA nationals who did not need a study visa in UK prior to Brexit.

According to the British government, the number of students who can receive a visa under the new Student Visa program is unlimited.

Some of the major changes to study visa in UK that went into effect on October 5, 2020 are as follows:

It is divided into two sections:

  • the Student Route (for adult students aged 18 and up).
  • the Child Student Route (for students aged 4-17, which has replaced the Tier 4 Child Student Visa).

After January 1, 2021, EU/EEA nationals are also required to apply for a visa. You can now apply for a Student Visa up to six months before the start of your courses, rather than three. A Point-Based System determines whether you are eligible for a visa. You must amass 70 points.

Those who graduate from a British educational institution between Summer 2021 and Summer 2022 will be able to apply for a post-graduate visa, which will allow them to work/look for work in the UK for up to two years.

Do I need to go in person to the embassy or consulate?

You should apply in the country where you currently reside. In this context, “living” somewhere means that you are legally present for a reason other than a brief visit. You can also apply in any other country where you have a passport.

It is important to keep in mind that if you apply in a country where you do not have a nationality, you may be required to prove your immigration status for that country.

If there is no suitable VAC in your current country, you should apply to the appropriate application post as designated on the Home Office website.

You must apply for a student visa online through the British Government’s official Gov.UK website (unless you are applying from North Korea, in which case you can use a hardcopy form).

You can apply up to three months before your planned trip to the UK. Your application date is the date you pay your application fee.

What is the visa approval rate?

For all nationals, the overall UK-sponsored study visa grant and refusal rate for the fiscal year ending 2021 were 96.5 percent and 3.27 percent, respectively.

In 2020, the UK-sponsored student visa success rate and refusal ratio for all nationals that sent students to the UK were 97.43 percent and 2.34 percent, respectively.

What about the documents required?

  • Your current valid passport.
  • Your school’s Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
  • Proof that you have enough money to support yourself and any family members.
  • If applicable, an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate.
  • Certificate of criminal record
  • Evidence of English language proficiency
  • Test results for tuberculosis

How long the UK student visa is valid?

The study visa in UK is valid for the duration of the course you have enrolled in. The visa can be granted for up to five years if you are an adult enrolled in a degree-level course. If you are studying for less than a degree, you will be granted a visa for two years.

Read more: How to apply for Study Visa in Germany

In conclusion, obtaining a study visa to study a master’s degree or any other degree in UK is an easy and simple process. The only thing you need to make sure of for it go to smoothly is that all your papers are in check and that you fill in the application correctly.

Whether you are willing to study a bachelor’s degree or study a master’s degree, you can find a wide range of online programs in uni-app



Leave your thought here

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *